New Beginnings

Once a place where I kept track of my teaching as a Graduate Student, this is now home to my rants and raves as a teacher. I still have a lot to learn about teaching and about myself as a teacher. Here, I will document my journey, both the good and the bad, so I can successfully reflect on others' methods of teaching as well as my own. Enjoy!!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Native American Photo Albums and Alone for the Day

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Today I was observed for a Social Studies lesson. The class has been researching Native American tribes (5 in total) in groups and now they get to share their research through artistic expression. Each member of the tribe-teams, using their specific research topic (food, climate, clothing...) draws and colors three pictures on large index cards. They then write captions and mount it all on oak board to be bound together with other group members pages, including a collaborative cover.

Sunshine let me teach her class early in the morning during a LA block so I could get some practice with the lesson in before being observed. With a few insertions from her, I was able to get the language needed. She then had a doctors appointment, which went longer than anticipated, so it worked out well that I could teach all the SS lessons that day. I received wonderful feedback during my meeting, and we also went over the PPA draft I wrote. I received help with editing it, and even before that, SPEM helped me write it.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Today was parent-teacher conferences with REM and SPEM. I was left in charge of the class, and the 1-to-1 aide was out as well. All in all, it was a great day. I was prepared with the Scientific Notation math lesson, and Eagle taught the first one, so I was able to observe her being I was REM for the day and didn't rotate with our class. However, this time, I was making notes on how I would do things differently, not the same. This was a first so far this year, and I believe an important step. The next class was my own homeroom, and they did a great job. I made sure I was explaining the concept in many different ways, being as clear as I could. It was such a different experience with only one teacher in the room, ie: ME! because certain students on plans really do need those extra bodies in the room! During the third class of the day, the class became so engaged in a math conversation that Sunshine had to pop in and reminded me it was time for lunch. :) What a great experience!

Where I still feel I need improvement is class management. There were times when they would get a bit, too out of control and I found I was loosing my patience. I have to remember that they're just kids!! And sometimes they cannot control themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment