New Beginnings

Once a place where I kept track of my teaching as a Graduate Student, this is now home to my rants and raves as a teacher. I still have a lot to learn about teaching and about myself as a teacher. Here, I will document my journey, both the good and the bad, so I can successfully reflect on others' methods of teaching as well as my own. Enjoy!!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Being Sunshine

Week of November 8, 2010

This was a good, but tough week. The kids are still wound up, and a bit out of control. They have had bad reports from Music, Library, and Lunch (which is a continuing situation that is not entirely their fault). I took over for Sunshine again this week, as she called in sick on Tuesday. The day went well, but Senora was out as well, and Eagle took over for her (which she was not too happy about). The day went very well, until dismissal. Two of the boys that Senora watches over were joking around and I saw one of them body slam the other into the fall. The second boy looked a bit hurt. I called them both over to me and had them explain to me what was going on. I said to the first that I saw him slam the other into the wall and that he needed to apologize for that. His response was "not until he apologize's for hitting me in the arm"... I tried to defuse the situation, with no help from Eagle (although looking back, it was probably good that I did it alone. But where was she in the first place, being it was her job that day to watch over these boys). I tried repeatedly to have the first apologize to the second, and told him that I hear what he's saying and validate that he feels he needs an apology, but he was adamant. I tried all the defusing tricks I knew, but the kids behind me were getting rowdy and impatient, so I told the boys the conversation would continue tomorrow with Sunshine. I also told the second to think back over the day to see if anything happened that he should be apologizing for. In this case, however, I'm more apt to believe boy #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment