New Beginnings

Once a place where I kept track of my teaching as a Graduate Student, this is now home to my rants and raves as a teacher. I still have a lot to learn about teaching and about myself as a teacher. Here, I will document my journey, both the good and the bad, so I can successfully reflect on others' methods of teaching as well as my own. Enjoy!!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Oh Friday...2 digit divisor Loooooong Division

Friday, October 22, 2010

Around 8:00 a.m. today, while I was defusing a sibling fight and building block castles, the principal announced there were many absences and if teachers had time in their day to help cover, they were encouraged the call the office. I assumed as an intern, I'd be pulled. I was right. I covered for a third grade class...and boy did I have fun!! On Friday mornings, this third grade class has "Reading with Family and Friends". Parents stay to read with their child and sometimes other students read with them. I joined a group of students and we read and I SPY book. The teacher, who was running late, was running even later, so I started morning meeting. Because I wasn't familiar with the class, and earlier I noticed they had a list of meeting rules on the board, I asked if the students could tell me what their meeting rules were. They did a great job! And then, thankfully, the teacher has already posted the morning message on the while board, so I read it to the class. They had been reading the book, UP, and the class was asked a question the day before. We spent 15 minutes or so guessing the word for the definition they gave me (the word was inference), and I had a blast with the kids! (I had been with this class before, and didn't know what to do, so I took them to recess!) :)

I was having such a good time, that REM had to come find me and needed me back to cover for Chorus time. They day progressed from there, until REM received a phone call that her daughter in day care was running a fever and needed to be picked up. This was in the beginning of the integrated class' math lesson. Luckily, the student intern had already seen the fist lesson, so REM went and got her and she and I co-taught the lesson (although I mainly let her take over because it was two digit divisor division and I honestly didn't remember how to do it!). By the next class, I was good to go, which was good, because I was on my own! :) Using graph paper on the Smart Board, I modeled for the class how to do long division. I reminded them over and over how difficult this was and to give themselves time to figure it out. They were so attentive, and a few of the girls even gave me hugs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment